I’m always looking out for healthy recipes that are fairly easy to prepare and scrumptious. I often look to Pinterest for inspiration or I’ll Google a specific recipe. When I’m extremely lucky, I find a few minutes to flick through the pages of an inviting and colorful cookbook. Enter My Darling Lemon Thyme by Emma Galloway, who lives in New Zealand.
Emma’s cookbook and her blog are packed full of gluten-free, vegetarian and real food recipes, born from her need to find new ways to cook for her family when it was discovered they suffered from food allergies. I really love her organic approach to both gardening (there are plenty of tips on her blog) and cooking and I hope you will too.
It’s September here in Australia so today I’m sharing a grains recipe that is light yet still satisfying and so vibrant it just speaks Spring to me!
Brown Rice Salad with Spice-Roasted Carrots, Feta + Pine Nuts Recipe
Serves: 4-6 as a side, about 3 as an entree.
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro stalks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds, roughly ground
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric + 1/2 teaspoon extra
- 1 cup (200g) mediun-grain brown rice, washed
- 1 3/4 cups (435ml) water
- 1/2 cup (100g) dried currants or organic raisins
- 2 tablespoons lightly toasted pine nuts
- large handful of parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- crumbled feta, to serve (optional)
- 1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Place carrots, cilantro stalks, olive oil, cumin, coriander, paprika, and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric in a bowl, season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, and mix well. Spread out in a single layer on a baking tray and roast for 25-30 minutes, turning often, until golden and tender. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, wash rice and drain well. Place rice, extra 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, and 1 3/4 cups (435ml) water in a saucepan, cover with a tight-fitting lid, and bring to a boil. Reduce h eat to lowest setting and simmer, covered, 40-45 minutes or until water has been absorbed and rice is tender. (Alternatively, you can use a rice cooker.) Remove from heat, keeping the lid on, and leave for 10 minutes before removing the lid and cooling to room temperature.
- To make the lemon dressing, whisk together all ingredients. Pour over cooled rice (it may seem like too much, but the rice absorbs a lot of it), stir in the roasted carrots and any spices from the tray, currants, pine nuts, cilantro, and parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve with crumbled feta on top.
- Any leftover salad will keep quite happily in the fridge until the following day, although you can add a little bit more salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice to refresh the flavor.
More Posts You May Like